Monday, December 14, 2015

Story project

The goal of this project was to make a 2d animation with a minimal of three scene changes that tells a story.


The first step in this project was to come up with the characters and setting which I thought was going to be easier then it ended up being. In the end I went with an Ent character, which is essentially a human tree, in no specific setting other then nature.

I then began to create a story which underwent lots of change. The initial story was a community of Ents that got wiped out by some natural disaster and one survived. That Ents goal was to find an acorn and replant the population and die in the end. However after watching my final animation you can see that was nowhere near the final story which was: an Ent wakes up and discovers he has an acorn, he then plants this acorn and waits for it to grow ultimately creating a new friend.



My first step in making these ideas come to life was making my main character and his environment. Hopefully as you can see I put a lot of detail into this Ent which took a long time. I created a front view and a side view of him along with different background scenes and my other growing tree.




From there I moved to after effects where I made each of the 10 scenes separately and then combined them together into the final project


Along the way I learned how to make a walk cycle using the puppet pin tools. Something else I learned was that (speaking for myself) to make a quality project class time is simply not enough.

What I would do different if I remade this project would only relate to time. As in I would spend more time making him sit down properly and things like that. Other wise I would mostly do everything else the same.


The main thing I can draw from this project is time management. I know how long it can take me to complete bigger projects so I need to plan out how I am going to spend my time on each.

This story animation could very well be my favorite project this whole year.




1 comment:

  1. Looks nice, I like that you included the sequential art for your growing tree.

    ReplyDelete