Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Pencils



My process behind this was first, of course, I followed the packet to make a very basic pencil and can. I thought I should expand on that Idea and make it a bit  more realistic so I lengthened out the pencil and added a different texture to the metal on the end of what I usually think of a wooden pencil. For the can I pictured a can of green beans and I took the label off and was left with a metal can with these big rivets on it so that was how I made that.







The first basic thing I took away from this was a deeper knowledge of the tools and how to use them, for example the rectangle tool drawn from the middle can create the effect of depth on the pencil because it adds the lines and makes it look hexagonal like a real pencil. Another tool was the direct select tool which I used to take the bottom half of the ellipse and drag it down to create the can. Finally, I have heard of the live paint bucket tool before but I wasn't exactly sure how to use it and with this project I now know how to .


The second thing I took away from this is how much a little variation can change the whole feel to a piece. For example, my first pencil to the second. Not too much changed but it went from a child's pencil to a pencil at an employee's desk.








Finally I learned more about the nature of 3D objects especially with the ink well on my fountain pen drawing. What I mean by this is I redrew the inkwell a couple of times the first time the bottom was flat, then I changed the lip on top from two overlapping ellipsis and finally the Ink on the inside at first was a rectangle then a flat black then finally I added the outline to pronounce the shape.

1 comment: